This week’s May Gray, unseasonably low temperatures, and our recent shipment of the 2015 Harvest of Sweet Imperial Valley Onions got us thinking (and craving)…………bubbly, cheesy, rich, flavorful and soul warming Sweet Onion Soup! With three giant Sweet Imperial Valley Onions, a few simple ingredients, and some patience to slowly caramelize them, you could be enjoying this delicious soup for lunch or dinner!
2 ounces (½ stick)- Butter
2 ounces Olive Oil
3 Imperial Valley Sweet Onions (sliced)
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
3 each Bay Leaves
½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 cup Red or White Wine
3 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
1 quart Chicken Broth
1 quart Beef Broth
Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 each Baguette (sliced)
½ pound Gruyere or Swiss Cheese (shredded)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pot over medium low heat.
- Add the onions and cook stirring occasionally until they soften and caramelize to a deep brown color. About 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until it is nearly evaporated.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook for another 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the broths, stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place baguette slices on a parchment lined sheet pan and top evenly with cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for five minutes until melted and bubbly.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the cheesy croutons and ENJOY!