Do you love caramelized onions? A quick sear on the grill gives the perfect amount of smoky carmelization to the Sweet Imperial Valley Onions that are the base of this versatile relish. Serve it atop your favorite steak, grilled sausage sandwiches, burgers or hot dogs. Add a little fresh rosemary or mint and enjoy it with pork or lamb chops!
Grilled Sweet Imperial Onion Relish
Yield: About 3 cups (depending upon the size of the onions.)
Sweet Imperial Onions 3 ea
Olive Oil ¼ cp
Garlic Cloves, sliced thin 6 ea
Honey 1 tbsp
Brown Sugar 1 tbsp
Cider Vinegar 2 tbsp
Thyme, Fresh, Chopped 1 tbsp
Oregano, Fresh, Chopped 2 tbsp
Bay Leaves 2 ea
Red Chili Flake ½ tsp (or to taste)
- Peel the onions and slice into rounds about ¼ inch thick. Brush with olive oil and grill over medium heat about 2-3 minutes per side until light grill marks are obtained. Remove and let cool. Coarse chop the grilled onions.
- Heat a sauté pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the remainder of ingredients, except salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes more over medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper.
- Let the relish cool and transfer to a storage container. Relish can be stored for up to a week and flavor will actually improve. Bring to room temp. or gently warm before serving.