We are still receiving shipments of the bountiful 2015 Harvest of Sweet Imperial Valley Onions and they are as BIG, JUICY and SWEET as ever! We hope you have had the opportunity to pick a few up while in our stores and are using them in all of your delicious recipes. Remember that they are seasonal and that the season is winding down as we speak. It has always been our goal to keep them in stock until the 4th of July but we urge you not to wait that long.
Drop us an e-mail at email@example.com and tell us how you have been enjoying the Sweet Imperial Valley Onions in your kitchen. We have been putting them on sandwiches, in salads, and sautéed on some of our prime steaks. Like many of you, we also fired up our grill this weekend and cooked up a summertime favorite……………HOT DOGS! Sweet Imperial Valley Onions + Hot Dogs= Heaven in a Bun! If you’ve ever been to New York City you’ll recognize this sweet, tangy and spicy sauce which is made even better by using sweet onions.
Sweet Imperial Valley Pushcart Onion Sauce
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 each Imperial Valley Sweet Onion (sliced ¼ in. thick)
½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
½ cup Water
½ cup Ketchup
1 tablespoon Hot Sauce (Frank’s, Red Devil or your own favorite!)
¾ teaspoon Garlic Salt
¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Heat the oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soften and start to brown.
- Add the cinnamon and clove and sauté for a minute.
- Add the remainder for the ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Adjust seasoning and spiciness to your liking and serve on top of grilled or steamed hot dogs. ENJOY!